Crochet Travel Wipes Cover Pattern and Tutorial
This pattern is suitable for a Huggies Travel Wipes Case, but can easily be adapted to fit another brand.
- You can replace the dc rounds (rounds 14 and 28) with 2 sc rows if you prefer. If you do this, just remember to change row 41 as follows: only make 2 sc’s for the “bridge” in stead of 4.
- If you want to use scraps of yarn as I have done for this tutorial, try and change colours in the first 23 st’s of the rounds because that will be the back of the case.
- Should you wish to make neat stripes, join each round with a sl st and ch 1 to start the next round.
- Remember to measure your crochet travel wipes cover by placing it over your wipes case every now and then. If you need to add a row or two, do so. Just make sure that you end up in roughly the same place at the end of round 41.
- 5mm Crochet Hook
- 3.5mm Crochet Hook for buttons
- DK Yarn
- Yarn Needle
USA Terminology used.
|Blo||Back loop only|
|Sc dec||Single crochet decrease: sc2tog|
|Sc inc||Single crochet increase: 2 sc’s in same stitch|
|Sl st||Slip Stitch|
With a 5mm crochet hook, chain 20.
1. Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in one loop only of the next 17 ch st’s. Make 3 sc’s in the last st. Continuing around, sc in both remaining loops of the next 17 ch st’s. Sc inc in the last st. Don’t turn.
2. Sc inc in 1st st of previous round. Sc in next 17 st’s. Sc inc in next 3 st’s. Sc in next 17 st’s. Sc inc in last 2 st’s. (46)
3. Sc in blo of all the st’s around. (46)
4-13. Sc x 46. (46)
14. Dc x 46. (46)
15. Sc x 46. (46)
The next 10 rows will form the back part to the opening of the wipes case. They will be worked back and forth, not in the round.
16. Sc x 28. Ch 1 and turn. (28)
17-25. Sc x 28. Ch 1 and turn. (28)
26. Sc x 28. Ch 18. Do not turn. (46 including ch’s)
27. Join to the beginning of round 26 by working your first sc into the 1st st of round 26. Sc in each st around and in one loop only of the 18 ch st’s. (46)
28. Dc x 46. (46)
29-40. Sc x 46. (46)
On the next row you will start to shape the closure.
41. Sc x 4. Ch 1 and turn. (These 4 st’s serve as a bridge to get you to the side of the wipes case)
42-47. Sc x 20. Ch 1 and turn. (20)
48. Sc x 20. Turn. (20)
49. (Button hole row) Skip 1st st. Sc in next 2 st’s. Ch3. Skip the 3 st’s below the chain and sc in the 4th. Sc in the next 7 st’s. Ch 3 and skip the 3 st’s below the chain. Sc in 4th. Sc dec over last 2 st’s. Turn. (18)
50. Skip 1st st. Sc in next st and in one loop only of the 3 ch st’s. Sc in next 8. Sc in one loop only of the 3 ch st’s. Sc dec over last 2 st’s. Turn (16)
51. Skip 1st st. Sc in next 3 st’s. Hdc in next st. Dc in next 6 st’s. Hdc in next st. Sc in next 2 st’s. Sc dec over last 2. Ch 1 and bind off. (14)
Change to a different colour if you want your flap to be contrasting. Keep your main colour if you want the wipes case to be just one colour.
1. You will need to pick up 12 st’s from the left edge of the opening left by working the 10 rows in the middle of the cover. Do this by working a sc into each row, starting with the row above the opening (row 26) and ending with the row below it (row 15). Turn. (12)
2. Sc inc in first st. Sc x 10. Sc inc in last st. Ch 1 and turn. (14) 3-21. Sc x 14. Ch 1 and turn. (14)
22. Sc x 14. Turn. (14)
23. Skip 1st st. Sc in next 11 st’s. Sc dec over last 2. Turn (12)
24. Skip 1st st. Sc in next 9 st’s. Sc dec over last 2. Turn (10)
25. Skip 1st st. Sc in next 2 st’s. Ch 3 and skip 3 st’s below the chain. Sc in the 4th st. Sc in next st. Sc dec over last 2. Turn. (8)
26. Skip 1st st. Sc in next st. Sc x 4 into ch-3 space. Sc dec over last 2. Ch 1 and bind off.
To finish the flap, work a row of sc all around the flap, making a sc in each st (and each row where applicable) around. Ch 1 and bind off.
You will need 3 buttons.
You are more than welcome to use good old-fashioned buttons. But just in case you feel adventurous, I have included the instructions for the crochet buttons. These buttons are made with yarn only. To get a stiff enough end product, use a 3.5mm crochet hook and sl st the 2 button pieces together to form one button.
1. Into a magic ring (and leaving a long tail): ch 1 and sc x 7. (7)
2. Sc inc in each st around. Ch1 and bind off. (14)
Repeat for the other side of the button, but do not bind off when you get to the end. Put the two circles together with their right sides facing out and pull the long tails through the central hole so that both of them are at the “back” of your button. You will use these tails to sew your button to your project.
Now sl st all around the button, working one sl st in each st (through both layers). Bind off and work away your tails. I pulled them through the central hole as well and used all the tails to sew my button to the finished wipes cover. It is a good idea to put a wipes container into the cover before adding the buttons so that you can get a good idea of where you want the buttons to go.