This is the first of the two crochet shrugs I made Bine for her birthday. Why two? Because, after having started this one, I wasn’t sure that she would like it, so I made the second one. And then I wasn’t so sure that she would like that one, so I finished this one and gave her a choice. She seems to like both, so I bid her have them as they were not made to fit me anyway.
Cream Crochet Shrug Pattern
US Crochet Terminology Used (see this UK/US Comparison Chart)
UK Size 12-14 (US Size 10 – 12)
- 10 mm Crochet hook
- Chunky wool/yarn
- Yarn needle
10cm x 10cm (4″ x 4 “) = 9 st’s and 10 rows.
This pattern is worked into the back loops only, so it stretches quite a bit. I have taken the measurements after stretching the swatch out a bit. At rest I measured 12 rows in 10 cm’s.
1: Chain 117. Sc in the second ch from the hook and in the top loop only of each subsequent ch st. Ch 1 and turn. (116)
2-39: Sc in the back loop only (blo) of each st across. Ch 1 and turn. (116)
Fold the resulting rectangle in half width-wise to form a loooong tube. Sl st through the front loop only (flo) of the last row and through both remaining loops of the foundation ch for 28 st’s.
Sl st through the foundation chain only for 60 st’s. Sl st through the last 28 st’s of both rows as before. Ch 1 and bind off.
Join your yarn anywhere around the opening of the body and sc in every row around. Join to the first sc with a with a sl st.
- Ch 7. Sc in the second ch from hook and in the next 5 st’s. Sl st in next 2 st’s of the “body” of the shrug. Turn.
- Sc in each of the 6 st’s across. Ch 1 and turn.
- Sc in each of the 6 st’s across. Sl st in next 2 st’s of the “body” of the shrug. Turn.
Repeat rows 2 and 3 until you have worked all the way around the opening. Ch 1 and sl st the two rough edges together on the inside of the shrug. Bind off and work away.
Finishing off the sleeves
- Join your yarn in any st around the opening of the arm. Sc into every second row. Join to first the first st with a sl st.
- Ch 1. Sc in each st around and join to the first sc with a sl st. Bind off.