Hello and Welcome to the Ubuntu CAL 2018.
You have no idea how excited (and how nervous) I am about this CAL. Where have I heard that before? Oh yes! Those were the exact words I wrote when I shared the information post for Sophie’s Universe almost 4 years ago now and I think they will ring true for every BIG project I embark on. I hope (with all my heart) that you will enjoy making this blanket with us. May you learn lots of new stitches and make many, many good friends along the way!
Ubuntu CAL 2018
The Scheepjes Ubuntu CAL 2018 starts on Wednesday 12 September 2018 (next Wednesday!!!) and will last for 12 weeks. The instructions will be shared by Scheepjes as free weekly PDFs (with weekly tips by me – see Timeline below).
During the CAL, you will be creating a hexagonal blanket with a central star (created by joining 6 diamonds) and lots of floral detail. The theme behind the CAL, UBUNTU, is a theme of kindness and caring for those around us; a sense of community and belonging. You can read more about that HERE.
- Special Stitches and Techniques
- Ubuntu Kits
- Ubuntu Timeline (Links to all the tutorials as they become available)
- Helpful Templates
- Important Tips
- Tips and Tricks PDF: You can find the Tips and Tricks PDF HERE. It contains all the information you need to help prepare you for the CAL, including gauge*, size, materials, and special stitch instructions.
- Video Tutorials: Esther Dijkstra from It’s All in a Nutshell has made step-by-step video tutorials for each part of the Ubuntu CAL. You will be able to find all the videos HERE as they become available.
- Facebook: Join the Official Scheepjes – International Group (English) or the Official Scheepjes – Nederlandse Groep (Dutch) on Facebook if you would like to be a part of the friendly, supportive community on there while you work through the tutorials. You have to be logged into Facebook in order to access the link to the groups.
- Ravelry: Add the CAL to your Ravelry Queue
- Instagram: If you are on Instagram, you can find me HERE. Please add your photos using #scheepjesubuntucal2018.
- Special Stitches and Techniques: If you would like to brush up on the stitches and techniques used in this CAL, please see THIS POST.
* Please see Special Stitches and Techniques for actionable information about gauge, especially if you bought a kit!
Translations will be available in English (US and UK), Swedish, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Spanish, Czech, Finnish, Norwegian, and Hebrew. You can find all the translations HERE on the Scheepjes Website.
Although this is an intermediate pattern, it has been written specifically with adventurous beginners in mind.
If you would like to brush up on your skills while you wait for Part 1 (or have any queries along the way), please have a look at the Special Stitches and Techniques Photo Tutorial for this CAL. I especially recommend looking at the Gauge information as it is SO IMPORTANT! Plus, it will give you something small but tangible to do while you wait for next week :)
Kits are available in 3 sizes: Small, Medium, and Large. If you would like more information about the kits, please see THIS POST.
Kits are available from most Scheepjes retailers:
|The pattern will be released as weekly written-only PDFs (released on a Wednesday at noon GMT) with Video support by Esther from It’s All in a Nutshell. I will be following along, posting weekly tips and photos of each completed round.
Below you will find a timeline for the CAL, along with the links to my progress (as they become available).
|Pre-Cal||5 September 2018||Information (this post)|
|Special Stitches and Techniques|
|Week 1:||12 September 2018||Part 1: Diamond Part 1|
|Week 2:||19 September 2018||Part 2: Diamond Part 2|
|Week 3:||26 September 2018||Part 3: Diamond Part 3|
|Week 4:||3 October 2018||Part 4: Half-diamond Part 1|
|Week 5:||10 October 2018||Part 5: Half-diamond Part 2|
|Week 6:||17 October 2018||Part 6: Half-diamond Part 3|
|Week 7:||24 October 2018||Part 7: Joining Motifs and Border Part 1|
|Week 8:||31 October 2018||Part 8: Border Part 2|
|Week 9:||7 November 2018||Part 9: Border Part 3|
|Week 10:||14 November 2018||Part 10: Border Part 4|
|Week 11:||21 November 2018||Part 11: Border Part 5|
|Week 12:||28 November 2018||Part 12: Border Part 6|
- Bookmark: I have created a little bookmark to help you organize your colours for the CAL. You can find the template HERE. You can either print it on regular paper and laminate it, or you can print it on cardstock.
GAUGE!! Please see my tips on making a gauge square before you start this journey!
I am so looking forward to sharing this CAL with you!
I would like to thank the following people for testing this pattern:
- Pat Laurenti
- Ulrika Larsson, Camilla Fredriksson, and Åza Karlsson (Swedish Translators)
- Minno Baarman
- Sonja Hollands
- Jenny Lowman
- Therese Eghult and Kela Ahnhem (from Sisters in Stitch)
This blog post contains affiliate links. I only link to products I personally use or would use. All opinions are my own.