I grew up with this delicious South African wheat salad (‘Koring Slaai met Geel Perskes‘ in Afrikaans). It is the perfect take-along salad for barbeques and keeps really well in the fridge. In fact, it is at its best when made a day in advance. This wheat salad is extremely refreshing, and the addition of curry powder and yellow peaches gives it a classic Cape Malay taste (sweet and tangy).
Recipe for Wheat Salad with Yellow Peaches
- 1 cup raw wheat
- 1 big onion (I prefer red onion) finely chopped
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 1 tin of canned peaches (diced)
For the dressing:
- 50 ml olive oil
- 25 ml chutney
- 25 ml sugar
- 25 ml vinegar
- 5 ml turmeric
- 5 ml mild curry powder
- 5 ml soya sauce
- Cook the wheat in salted water and drain when cooked. You want the wheat to be al dente (cooked but not mushy). Rinse under cold running water and place into a salad bowl with the diced peaches, onion and green pepper.
- Mix all the ingredients for the salad dressing thoroughly and then stir it into the salad.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate until needed.
This is one of those salads that gets better with time. I usually make it at least a day in advance.